Last Name: FIKOS
First Name: ILIAS
Phone number: ++30 2310991420 office ++30 6974 497861 mob
Email address: email@example.com
Date of Birth: 19 February 1975
Place of Birth:
Profession: Geologist – Geophysicist
Military Service: 2002 - 2003
1993 – 1998: University Degree of
1998 – 2000: MSc in Geophysics.
Thesis title: Diachronic study of free aquifer using the method of electric tomography.
Supervisor: Prof. G. Tsokas.
2001 – 2010: PhD in Geology.
Thesis title: Inversion of Geoelectrical Tomography Data:
Supervisor: Prof. C. B. Papazachos.
Certificate of Proficiency in English:
1998 – 2006: Free lance Geologist – Geophysicist
2003 – 2006: Geologist in the Development Agency of Eastern Thessaloniki ‘ANATOLIKI ’ s.a.
2006 – 2014: Staff – Researcher of the Geophysical Laboratory in the Department of Geology in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE
2014 – Today: Teaching Assistant of the Geophysical Laboratory in the Department of Geology in the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, GREECE
Since 1998 I have undertaken or participated in private studies and surveys concerning Geological, Hydrogeological, Geothermal, Geophysical, Environmental and Geotechnical problems.
Working for the Seismological Station of AUTH I have installed and help in the maintenance of many seismic stations as part of the Hellenic Unified Seismic Network.
I am or have been the scientific coordinator of more than 10 research projects of the Geophysical Laboratory of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki addressing Geological, Hydrogeological, Geophysical investigations, Environmental, Geotechnical applications.
I have also participated in many research projects of the Geophysical Laboratory of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki addressing Geological, Hydrogeological, Geophysical investigations, Environmental, Geotechnical and archaeometry applications.
Programming: Fortran, C++, MATLAB and LABVIEW (beginner)
Software: MS Office, ArcGIS, Rockworks, Surfer, Grapher and various software for geophysical interpretation of geoelectrical, seismic, magnetic and GPR data.
PUBLICATIONS IN JOURNALS AND CONFERENCES
1. Geophysical Prospecting in the Krousovitis Dam (N. Greece) by Seismic and Resistivity Geophysical methods. Savvaidis A., Tsokas G., Soupios P., Vargemezis G., Manakou M., Tsourlos P., Fikos I., Journal of the Balkan Geophysical Society, 2/4, 128-138, 1999.
2. Diachronic Study of Free aquifers using the method of electric tomography. Fikos I., Vargemezis G., Tsokas G., Hatzidimitriou P., Dimopoulos G. Submitted to EGS XXV General Assembly, Nice, 25-29 April 2000.
3. Geophysical survey to the Petrified forest of Sigri in Lesvos Island (North Aegean). Vargemezis G., Zouros N., Mertzanides I., Kontis E., Zananiri E., Fikos I., Roumelioti Z., Valiakos I. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, vol.XXXIV no.4  p.1285-1292, DOI:10.12681/bgsg.17215.
4. Application of Modern Seismic Methods for Geotechnical Site Characterization Soupios P. M., Papazachos C. B., Vargemezis G., Fikos I. Abstract of International Workshop in Geoenvironment and Geotechnics 12-14 September 2005, Milos island, Greece, ISBN 960-88153-7-1, pp. 163-170.
5. Water balance estimation in Anthemountas river basin and correlation with underground water level, Fikos I., Ziankas G., Rizopoulou A., Famellos S. Global NEST Journal 7 (3), pp 354 - 359, November 2005
6. Ground Water Detection by Means of Electrical and EM Methods – The Case of Paliouri, Northern Greece, G.N. Vargemezis, P. Tsourlos, A. Stampolidis, I. Fikos, D. Ballas.. Proceedings of the 14th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. September 2007, Krakow, A29.
7. High-resolution magnetic gradient and electrical resistivity tomography survey at the Plaka Petrified Forest Park in Lesvos Island, Greece. G. Vargemezis, N. Zouros, P. Tsourlos, I. Fikos. Near Surface Geophysics, vol 7,No3,pp. 207-215, June 2009.
8. Large Scale vertical electrical soundings survey in Anthemountas river basin for evaluating hydraulic communication between sub basin aquifers. Vargemezis G. and Fikos I. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, Proceedings of the 12th International Congress, Patra , vol 4, pp 1953-1961, May 2010.
9. Shallow structure of the hydrothermal system at Taal volcano (Philippines) inferred by detailed electrical resistivity tomography. Fikos I., Vargemezis G., Zlotnicki J., Puertollano JR., Alanis PB., Pigtain RC., Sasai Y. Abstracts of the IUGG 2011 General Assembly ‘Earth on the Edge: Science for a Sustainable Planet’ Melbourne, Australia. 28 June - 7 July 2011
10. Electrical Resistivity Tomography study of Taal volcano hydrothermal system, Phillipines. Fikos I., Vargemezis G., Zlotnicki J., Puertollano J.R., Alanis P.B., Pigtain R.C., Villacorte E.U., Malipot G.A. and Sasai Y. Bulletin of Volcanology, Jun 2012. DOI: 10.1007/s00445-012-0638-5.
11. A focusing approach to ground water detection by means of electrical and EM methods: the case of Paliouri, Northern Greece. Vargemezis G, Tsourlos P., Stampolidis A., Fikos I., Ballas D. and Papadopoulos N. Studia Geophysica et Geodaetica 2012. DOI: 10.1007/s11200-011-0444-0
12. Ground penetrating radar and electrical resistivity tomography for locating buried building foundations: a case study in the city centre of Thessaloniki, Greece. Vargemezis G., Diamanti N., Fikos I., Stampolidis A., Makedon Th. and Chatzigogos N. Bulletin of the Geological Society of Greece, 2013. ISSN:0438-9557, XLVII. http://dx.doi.org/10.12681/bgsg.10946
13. Landfill Leakage Detection Using ERT. Tsourlos P., Vargemezis G., Fikos I., Giannopoulos A. Near Surface Geoscience 2013 - 19th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.20131422
14. Geoelectrical Monitoring of a Decommissioned Landfill in Thessaloniki (N. Greece). Vargemezis G., Tsourlos P., Fikos I., Kazakis N. Near Surface Geoscience 2014 - 20th European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.20142085
15. Electrical Resistivity Tomography and Ground Penetrating Radar for locating buried petrified wood sites: a case study in the natural monument of the Petrified Forest of Evros, Greece. Vargemezis G., Diamanti N., Tsourlos P., Fikos I. 2014. EGU General Assembly 2014, held 27 April - 2 May, 2014 in Vienna, Austria, id.14298 Bibcode: 2014EGUGA..1614298V.
16. DC Geoelectrical Methods Applied to Landfill Investigations: case studies from Greece. Tsourlos P., Vargemezis G., Fikos I., Tsokas G. 2014, First Break, vol.32  p.81-89
17. Waste disposal sites investigation by the use of electrical resistivity tomography. Vargemezis G, Tsourlos P.I., Tsokas G.N., Fikos I., Diamanti N. and Stampolidis A. 2014 7th Congress of the Balkan Geophysical Society (BGS), At Tirana, Albania. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.20131742
18. A Technique for Locating Leaking Points in Landfills. Tsourlos P, Vargemezis G, Fikos I. Near Surface Geoscience 2015 – 21st European Meeting of Environmental and Engineering Geophysics. DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.201413821
19. Application of ERT to Map Earth Fissures at the Valtotnera Area (Amyntaion, NW Greece). Tsourlos P, Vargemezis G, Fikos I. 8th Congress of the Balkan Geophysical Society (BGS). DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.201414131.
20. Application of Electrical Resistivity Tomography Method to the Mapping of Explored Caves and Detection of Possible New Chambers: Case Studies from Greece. Tsourlos P., Vargemezis G., Fikos I. 2015 8th Congress of the Balkan Geophysical Society (BGS). DOI: 10.3997/2214-4609.201414132
21. Application of Ambient Noise Array Tomography on Geotechnical Scales and Comparison with Independent Geophysical Information: A Test for the Thessaloniki Area (Northern Greece). Anthymidis M., Papazachos C., Savvaidis A., Theodoulidis N., Fikos I. 2015. EGU General Assembly 2015, held 12-17 April, 2015 in Vienna, Austria. id.9371. Bibcode: 2015EGUGA..17.9371A.